- A water newt. - To request or petition; -- usually followed by for; as, to
ask for bread.
- To make inquiry, or seek by request; -- sometimes followed
by after. - To request; to seek to obtain by words; to petition; to
solicit; -- often with of, in the sense of from, before the person
- To require, demand, claim, or expect, whether by way of
remuneration or return, or as a matter of necessity; as, what price do
- To interrogate or inquire of or concerning; to put a
question to or about; to question.
- To invite; as, to ask one to an entertainment.
- To publish in church for marriage; -- said of both the
banns and the persons.