- A large stick; a club; specifically, a piece of wood with one
end thicker or broader than the other, used in playing baseball,
- Shale or bituminous shale.
- A sheet of cotton used for filling quilts or comfortables;
- A part of a brick with one whole end.
- One of the Cheiroptera, an order of flying mammals, in which
the wings are formed by a membrane stretched between the elongated
fingers, legs, and tail. The common bats are small and insectivorous.
See Cheiroptera and Vampire. - To use a bat, as in a game of baseball. - To strike or hit with a bat or a pole; to cudgel; to beat.