- On the fore part; in front, or in the direction of the
front; -- opposed to in the rear.
- In advance.
- In time past; previously; already.
- Earlier; sooner than; until then. - In front of; preceding in space; ahead of; as, to stand
before the fire; before the house.
- Preceding in time; earlier than; previously to; anterior
to the time when; -- sometimes with the additional idea of purpose; in
- An advance of; farther onward, in place or time.
- Prior or preceding in dignity, order, rank, right, or
worth; rather than.
- In presence or sight of; face to face with; facing.
- Under the cognizance or jurisdiction of.
- Open for; free of access to; in the power of.