- Diverging from, or tributary to, a main stock, line, way,
theme, etc.; as, a branch vein; a branch road or line; a branch topic;
a branch store. - A shoot or secondary stem growing from the main stem, or
from a principal limb or bough of a tree or other plant.
- Any division extending like a branch; any arm or part
connected with the main body of thing; ramification; as, the branch of
an antler; the branch of a chandelier; a branch of a river; a branch of
- Any member or part of a body or system; a distinct article;
a section or subdivision; a department.
- One of the portions of a curve that extends outwards to an
indefinitely great distance; as, the branches of an hyperbola.
- A line of family descent, in distinction from some other
line or lines from the same stock; any descendant in such a line; as,
the English branch of a family.
- A warrant or commission given to a pilot, authorizing him
to pilot vessels in certain waters. - To shoot or spread in branches; to separate into
branches; to ramify.
- To divide into separate parts or subdivision. - To divide as into branches; to make subordinate division
- To adorn with needlework representing branches, flowers,