- Any narrow passage or gorge in which troops can march only
in a file, or with a narrow front; a long, narrow pass between hills,
- The act of defilading a fortress, or of raising the
exterior works in order to protect the interior. See Defilade. - To march off in a line, file by file; to file off. - Same as Defilade.
- To make foul or impure; to make filthy; to dirty; to
befoul; to pollute.
- To soil or sully; to tarnish, as reputation; to taint.
- To injure in purity of character; to corrupt.
- To corrupt the chastity of; to debauch; to violate.
- To make ceremonially unclean; to pollute.