- Act of departing; departure.
- A part, portion, or subdivision.
- A distinct course of life, action, study, or the
like; appointed sphere or walk; province.
- Subdivision of business or official duty;
especially, one of the principal divisions of executive government; as,
the treasury department; the war department; also, in a university, one
of the divisions of instruction; as, the medical department; the
department of physics.
- A territorial division; a district; esp., in France,
one of the districts composed of several arrondissements into which the
country is divided for governmental purposes; as, the Department of the
- A military subdivision of a country; as, the
Department of the Potomac.