- The organ of hearing; the external ear.
- The sense of hearing; the perception of sounds; the power of
discriminating between different tones; as, a nice ear for music; -- in
the singular only.
- That which resembles in shape or position the ear of an
animal; any prominence or projection on an object, -- usually one for
support or attachment; a lug; a handle; as, the ears of a tub, a
skillet, or dish. The ears of a boat are outside kneepieces near the
bow. See Illust. of Bell.
- Same as Acroterium.
- Same as Crossette.
- Privilege of being kindly heard; favor; attention.
- The spike or head of any cereal (as, wheat, rye, barley,
Indian corn, etc.), containing the kernels. - To put forth ears in growing; to form ears, as grain; as,
this corn ears well. - To take in with the ears; to hear.
- To plow or till; to cultivate.