- The exterior form or appearance of anything; that part which
presents itself to the view; especially, the front or upper part or
surface; that which particularly offers itself to the view of a
- That part of a body, having several sides, which may be seen
from one point, or which is presented toward a certain direction; one
of the bounding planes of a solid; as, a cube has six faces.
- The principal dressed surface of a plate, disk, or pulley;
the principal flat surface of a part or object.
- That part of the acting surface of a cog in a cog wheel,
which projects beyond the pitch line.
- The width of a pulley, or the length of a cog from end to
end; as, a pulley or cog wheel of ten inches face.
- The upper surface, or the character upon the surface, of a
type, plate, etc.
- The style or cut of a type or font of type.
- Outside appearance; surface show; look; external aspect,
whether natural, assumed, or acquired.
- That p - To carry a false appearance; to play the hypocrite.
- To turn the face; as, to face to the right or left.
- To present a face or front. - To meet in front; to oppose with firmness; to resist, or
to meet for the purpose of stopping or opposing; to confront; to
encounter; as, to face an enemy in the field of battle.
- To Confront impudently; to bully.
- To stand opposite to; to stand with the face or front
toward; to front upon; as, the apartments of the general faced the
- To cover in front, for ornament, protection, etc.; to put
a facing upon; as, a building faced with marble.
- To line near the edge, esp. with a different material; as,
to face the front of a coat, or the bottom of a dress.
- To cover with better, or better appearing, material than
the mass consists of, for purpose of deception, as the surface of a box
of tea, a barrel of sugar, etc.
- To make the surface of (anything) flat or smooth; to dress
the face of (a stone, a casting, etc.); esp., in turning, to shape or
smooth the flat surface of, as distinguished from the cylindrical
- To cause t