- Alt. of Service
- A name given to several trees and shrubs of the genus Pyrus,
as Pyrus domestica and P. torminalis of Europe, the various species of
mountain ash or rowan tree, and the American shad bush (see Shad bush,
under Shad). They have clusters of small, edible, applelike berries. - The act of serving; the occupation of a servant; the
performance of labor for the benefit of another, or at another's
command; attendance of an inferior, hired helper, slave, etc., on a
superior, employer, master, or the like; also, spiritual obedience and
- The deed of one who serves; labor performed for another;
duty done or required; office.
- Office of devotion; official religious duty performed;
religious rites appropriate to any event or ceremonial; as, a burial
- Hence, a musical composition for use in churches.
- Duty performed in, or appropriate to, any office or
charge; official function; hence, specifically, military or naval duty;
performance of the duties of a soldier.
- Useful office; advantage conferred; that which promotes
interest or happiness; benefit; avail.
- Profession of respect; acknowledgment of duty owed.
- The act and manner of bringing food to the persons who eat
it; order of dishes at table; a