- A smooth, flat surface, like the side of a board; a thin,
flat, smooth piece of anything; a slab.
- A thin, flat piece of wood, stone, metal, or other material,
on which anything is cut, traced, written, or painted; a tablet
- a memorandum book.
- Any smooth, flat surface upon which an inscription, a
drawing, or the like, may be produced.
- Hence, in a great variety of applications: A condensed
statement which may be comprehended by the eye in a single view; a
methodical or systematic synopsis; the presentation of many items or
particulars in one group; a scheme; a schedule.
- A view of the contents of a work; a statement of the
principal topics discussed; an index; a syllabus; a synopsis; as, a
table of contents.
- A list of substances and their properties; especially, a
list of the elementary substances with their atomic weights, densities,
- Any collection and arrangement in a condensed form of many
particulars or valu - To live at the table of another; to board; to eat. - To form into a table or catalogue; to tabulate; as, to
- To delineate, as on a table; to represent, as in a
- To supply with food; to feed.
- To insert, as one piece of timber into another, by
alternate scores or projections from the middle, to prevent slipping;
- To lay or place on a table, as money.
- In parliamentary usage, to lay on the table; to postpone,
by a formal vote, the consideration of (a bill, motion, or the like)
till called for, or indefinitely.
- To enter upon the docket; as, to table charges against
- To make board hems in the skirts and bottoms of (sails)
in order to strengthen them in the part attached to the boltrope.