- A plate, or thin piece, of baked clay, used for covering the
roofs of buildings, for floors, for drains, and often for ornamental
- A small slab of marble or other material used for flooring.
- A plate of metal used for roofing.
- A small, flat piece of dried earth or earthenware, used to
cover vessels in which metals are fused.
- A draintile.
- A stiff hat. - To protect from the intrusion of the uninitiated; as, to
tile a Masonic lodge.
- To cover with tiles; as, to tile a house.
- Fig.: To cover, as if with tiles.