- A covering overhead; especially, a tent.
- The cloth covering of a cart or a wagon.
- A cloth cover of a boat; a small canopy or awning extended
over the sternsheets of a boat.
- A thrust, as with a lance.
- A military exercise on horseback, in which the combatants
attacked each other with lances; a tournament.
- See Tilt hammer, in the Vocabulary.
- Inclination forward; as, the tilt of a cask. - To run or ride, and thrust with a lance; to practice the
military game or exercise of thrusting with a lance, as a combatant on
horseback; to joust; also, figuratively, to engage in any combat or
movement resembling that of horsemen tilting with lances.
- To lean; to fall partly over; to tip. - To cover with a tilt, or awning.
- To incline; to tip; to raise one end of for discharging
liquor; as, to tilt a barrel.
- To point or thrust, as a lance.
- To point or thrust a weapon at.
- To hammer or forge with a tilt hammer; as, to tilt steel
in order to render it more ductile.