- That which draws along; especially, persuasion, artifice, or
- Hence, something tied to a lure to entice a hawk; also, a
trap for an animal; a snare.
- That which is drawn along in the rear of, or after,
something; that which is in the hinder part or rear.
- That part of a gown which trails behind the wearer.
- The after part of a gun carriage; the trail.
- The tail of a bird.
- A number of followers; a body of attendants; a retinue; a
- A consecution or succession of connected things; a series.
- Regular method; process; course; order; as, things now in a
train for settlement.
- The number of beats of a watch in any certain time.
- A line of gunpowder laid to lead fire to a charge, mine, or
- A connected line of cars or carriages on a railroad.
- A heavy, long sleigh used in Canada for the transportation
of merchandise, wood, and the like.
- A roll train; as, a 12-inch t - To be drilled in military exercises; to do duty in a
- To prepare by exercise, diet, instruction, etc., for any
physical contest; as, to train for a boat race. - To draw along; to trail; to drag.
- To draw by persuasion, artifice, or the like; to attract
by stratagem; to entice; to allure.
- To teach and form by practice; to educate; to exercise;
to discipline; as, to train the militia to the manual exercise; to
train soldiers to the use of arms.
- To break, tame, and accustom to draw, as oxen.
- To lead or direct, and form to a wall or espalier; to
form to a proper shape, by bending, lopping, or pruning; as, to train
- To trace, as a lode or any mineral appearance, to its