- That which warrants or authorizes; a commission giving
authority, or justifying the doing of anything; an act, instrument, or
obligation, by which one person authorizes another to do something
which he has not otherwise a right to do; an act or instrument
investing one with a right or authority, and thus securing him from
loss or damage; commission; authority.
- A writing which authorizes a person to receive money or
- A precept issued by a magistrate authorizing an officer to
make an arrest, a seizure, or a search, or do other acts incident to
the administration of justice.
- An official certificate of appointment issued to an
officer of lower rank than a commissioned officer. See Warrant officer,
- That which vouches or insures for anything; guaranty;
- That which attests or proves; a voucher.
- Right; legality; allowance.
- To make secure; to give assurance against harm; to
guarantee safety to; to gi