- A burning piece of wood; or a stick or piece of wood
partly burnt, whether burning or after the fire is extinct.
- A sword, so called from its glittering or flashing
- A mark made by burning with a hot iron, as upon a cask,
to designate the quality, manufacturer, etc., of the contents, or upon
an animal, to designate ownership; -- also, a mark for a similar
purpose made in any other way, as with a stencil. Hence, figurately:
Quality; kind; grade; as, a good brand of flour.
- A mark put upon criminals with a hot iron. Hence: Any
mark of infamy or vice; a stigma.
- An instrument to brand with; a branding iron.
- Any minute fungus which produces a burnt appearance in
plants. The brands are of many species and several genera of the order
- To burn a distinctive mark into or upon with a hot iron,
to indicate quality, ownership, etc., or to mark as infamous (as a
- To put an actual distinctive mark upon in any other way,
as with a stencil, to show quality of contents, name of manufacture,
- Fig.: To fix a mark of infamy, or a stigma, upon.
- To mark or impress indelibly, as with a hot iron.