- The hair that grows on the chin, lips, and adjacent parts of
the human face, chiefly of male adults.
- The long hairs about the face in animals, as in the goat.
- The cluster of small feathers at the base of the beak in
- The appendages to the jaw in some Cetacea, and to the mouth
or jaws of some fishes.
- The byssus of certain shellfish, as the muscle.
- The gills of some bivalves, as the oyster.
- In insects, the hairs of the labial palpi of moths and
- Long or stiff hairs on a plant; the awn; as, the beard of
- A barb or sharp point of an arrow or other instrument,
projecting backward to prevent the head from being easily drawn out.
- That part of the under side of a horse's lower jaw which is
above the chin, and bears the curb of a bridle.
- That part of a type which is between the shoulder of the
shank and the face.
- An imposition; a trick. - To take by the beard; to seize, pluck, or pull the beard
of (a man), in anger or contempt.
- To oppose to the gills; to set at defiance.
- To deprive of the gills; -- used only of oysters and