- Convenient; suitable; direct; near; handy; dexterous; easy;
profitable; cheap; respectable. - A square or beveled notch cut out of a girder, binding joist,
or other timber which supports a floor beam, so as to receive the end
of the floor beam.
- To get, as profit or advantage; to obtain or acquire by
effort or labor; as, to gain a good living.
- To come off winner or victor in; to be successful in; to
obtain by competition; as, to gain a battle; to gain a case at law; to
gain a prize.
- To draw into any interest or party; to win to one's side; to
- To reach; to attain to; to arrive at; as, to gain the top of
a mountain; to gain a good harbor.
- To get, incur, or receive, as loss, harm, or damage. - To have or receive advantage or profit; to acquire gain;
to grow rich; to advance in interest, health, or happiness; to make
progress; as, the sick man gains daily. - That which is gained, obtained, or acquired, as increase,
profit, advantage, or benefit; -- opposed to loss.
- The obtaining or amassing of profit or valuable
possessions; acquisition; accumulation.