- A hollow metallic vessel, usually shaped somewhat like a cup
with a flaring mouth, containing a clapper or tongue, and giving forth
a ringing sound on being struck.
- A hollow perforated sphere of metal containing a loose ball
which causes it to sound when moved.
- Anything in the form of a bell, as the cup or corol of a
- That part of the capital of a column included between the
abacus and neck molding; also used for the naked core of nearly
cylindrical shape, assumed to exist within the leafage of a capital.
- The strikes of the bell which mark the time; or the time so
designated. - To develop bells or corollas; to take the form of a bell;
to blossom; as, hops bell.
- To call or bellow, as the deer in rutting time; to make a
bellowing sound; to roar. - To put a bell upon; as, to bell the cat.
- To make bell-mouthed; as, to bell a tube.
- To utter by bellowing.