- Fitted to represent; exhibiting a similitude.
- Bearing the character or power of another; acting
for another or others; as, a council representative of the people.
- Conducted by persons chosen to represent, or act as
deputies for, the people; as, a representative government.
- Serving or fitted to present the full characters of
the type of a group; typical; as, a representative genus in a family.
- Similar in general appearance, structure, and
habits, but living in different regions; -- said of certain species and
- Giving, or existing as, a transcript of what was
originally presentative knowledge; as, representative faculties;
representative knowledge. See Presentative, 3 and Represent, 8. - One who, or that which, represents (anything); that
which exhibits a likeness or similitude.
- An agent, deputy, or substitute, who supplies the
place of another, or others, being invested with his or their
- One who represents, or stands in the place of,
- A member of the lower or popular house in a State
legislature, or in the national Congress.
- That which presents the full character of the type
of a group.
- A species or variety which, in any region, takes
the place of a similar one in another region.