- To make able; to enable; to strengthen.
- To vouch for. - Fit; adapted; suitable.
- Having sufficient power, strength, force, skill, means,
or resources of any kind to accomplish the object; possessed of
qualifications rendering competent for some end; competent; qualified;
capable; as, an able workman, soldier, seaman, a man able to work; a
mind able to reason; a person able to be generous; able to endure pain;
able to play on a piano.
- Specially: Having intellectual qualifications, or strong
mental powers; showing ability or skill; talented; clever; powerful;
as, the ablest man in the senate; an able speech.
- Legally qualified; possessed of legal competence; as,
able to inherit or devise property.