- Having a broad, flattened front; as, the bluff bows of a
- Rising steeply with a flat or rounded front.
- Surly; churlish; gruff; rough.
- Abrupt; roughly frank; unceremonious; blunt; brusque; as, a
bluff answer; a bluff manner of talking; a bluff sea captain. - A high, steep bank, as by a river or the sea, or beside a
ravine or plain; a cliff with a broad face.
- An act of bluffing; an expression of self-confidence for the
purpose of intimidation; braggadocio; as, that is only bluff, or a
- A game at cards; poker. - To act as in the game of bluff. - To deter (an opponent) from taking the risk of betting on
his hand of cards, as the bluffer does by betting heavily on his own
hand although it may be of less value.
- To frighten or deter from accomplishing a purpose by
making a show of confidence in one's strength or resources; as, he
bluffed me off.