- Feeling corresponding to that which another feels; the
quality of being affected by the affection of another, with feelings
correspondent in kind, if not in degree; fellow-feeling.
- An agreement of affections or inclinations, or a
conformity of natural temperament, which causes persons to be pleased,
or in accord, with one another; as, there is perfect sympathy between
- Kindness of feeling toward one who suffers; pity;
- The reciprocal influence exercised by the various organs
or parts of the body on one another, as manifested in the transmission
of a disease by unknown means from one organ to another quite remote,
or in the influence exerted by a diseased condition of one part on
another part or organ, as in the vomiting produced by a tumor of the
- That relation which exists between different persons by
which one of them produces in the others a state or condition like that
of himself. This is shown in the tendency to yawn which a person often
feels on seeing another yawn, or the strong inclination to become
hysteric experienced by many women on seeing another person suffering
- A tendency of inanimate things to unite, or to act on
each other; as, the sympathy between the loadstone and iron.
- Similarity of function, use office, or the like.