- The dense tissues which invest the teeth, and cover the
adjacent parts of the jaws.
- A vegetable secretion of many trees or plants that hardens
when it exudes, but is soluble in water; as, gum arabic; gum
tragacanth; the gum of the cherry tree. Also, with less propriety,
exudations that are not soluble in water; as, gum copal and gum
sandarac, which are really resins.
- See Gum tree, below.
- A hive made of a section of a hollow gum tree; hence, any
roughly made hive; also, a vessel or bin made of a hollow log.
- A rubber overshoe. - To exude or from gum; to become gummy. - To deepen and enlarge the spaces between the teeth of (a
worn saw). See Gummer.
- To smear with gum; to close with gum; to unite or stiffen
by gum or a gumlike substance; to make sticky with a gumlike substance.