- An apparatus for weighing.
- Act of weighing mentally; comparison; estimate.
- Equipoise between the weights in opposite scales.
- The state of being in equipoise; equilibrium; even
- An equality between the sums total of the two sides of an
account; as, to bring one's accounts to a balance; -- also, the excess
on either side; as, the balance of an account.
- A balance wheel, as of a watch, or clock. See Balance
wheel (in the Vocabulary).
- The constellation Libra.
- The seventh sign in the Zodiac, called Libra, which the
sun enters at the equinox in September.
- A movement in dancing. See Balance, v. i., S.
- To bring to an equipoise, as the scales of a balance by
adjusting the weights; to weigh in a balance.
- To support on a narrow base, so as to keep from falling;
as, to balance a plate on the end of a cane; to balance one's self on a
- To equal in number, weight, force, or proport - To have equal weight on each side; to be in equipoise;
as, the scales balance.
- To fluctuate between motives which appear of equal
force; to waver; to hesitate.
- To move toward a person or couple, and then back.