- The act of speculating.
- Examination by the eye; view.
- Mental view of anything in its various aspects and
relations; contemplation; intellectual examination.
- The act or process of reasoning a priori from premises
given or assumed.
- The act or practice of buying land, goods, shares,
etc., in expectation of selling at a higher price, or of selling with
the expectation of repurchasing at a lower price; a trading on
anticipated fluctuations in price, as distinguished from trading in
which the profit expected is the difference between the retail and
wholesale prices, or the difference of price in different markets.
- Any business venture in involving unusual risks, with
a chance for large profits.
- A conclusion to which the mind comes by speculating;
mere theory; view; notion; conjecture.
- Power of sight.
- A game at cards in which the players buy from one
another trumps or whole hands, upon a chance of getting the highest
trump dealt, which entitles the holder to the pool of stakes.