- That part of the fore limb below the forearm or wrist in man
and monkeys, and the corresponding part in many other animals; manus;
paw. See Manus.
- That which resembles, or to some extent performs the office
of, a human hand
- A limb of certain animals, as the foot of a hawk, or any one
of the four extremities of a monkey.
- An index or pointer on a dial; as, the hour or minute hand of
- A measure equal to a hand's breadth, -- four inches; a palm.
Chiefly used in measuring the height of horses.
- Side; part; direction, either right or left.
- Power of performance; means of execution; ability; skill;
- Actual performance; deed; act; workmanship; agency; hence,
manner of performance.
- An agent; a servant, or laborer; a workman, trained or
competent for special service or duty; a performer more or less
skillful; as, a deck hand; a farm hand; an old hand at speaking.
- Handwriting; style of penmanship; as, a - To cooperate. - To give, pass, or transmit with the hand; as, he handed
them the letter.
- To lead, guide, or assist with the hand; to conduct; as,
to hand a lady into a carriage.
- To manage; as, I hand my oar.
- To seize; to lay hands on.
- To pledge by the hand; to handfast.
- To furl; -- said of a sail.